Pałac w Wilanowie

Wilanów Palace is a royal palace located in the Wilanów district, Warsaw. built for the Polish king John III Sobieski and Maria Kazimiera in 1681-1696 based on Agustin Locci’s project. The side wings, which were built between 1723-1729, in which the Wilanów Palace Museum is located.

In 1994, the Wilanów Palace group, along with the Morysin area was branded as a histtorical monument.

The palace, along with its surrounding area has preserved its authentic historical qualities which survived the time od Poland’s partitions and both World Wars.

The palace and park in Wilanów is a place for cultural events and concerts, including Summer Royal Concerts in the Rose Garden and the International Summer Early Music Academy.

The structure was designed by Augustyn Wincenty Locci. The architecture of the palace is a unique example of different building traditions - reminiscent of Polish aristocratic mansions with side towers, the Italian suburban villa and French palaces entre cour et jardin with two oblong wings on each side of the cour d'honneur.

The most prominent Polish and foreign artists participated in the decoration of the palace interiors. It was entrusted to painters Martino Altomonte, Jan Rayzner of Lviv, Michelangelo Palloni, sculptor Stefan Szwaner and stucco decorators Szymon Józef Bellotti, Antoni of Wilanów and Abraham Paris. They were supervised by the official court painters Claude Callot and later by Jerzy Siemiginowski-Eleuter.

At the beginning, the residence built there was small. Augustyn Locci, the king’s court architect, received the task of creating only a ground floor residence of a layout typical for the buildings of the Republic of Poland. However, military successes and an increase of the importance of royalty in the coming years had a huge influence on expanding the initial project. Huge construction works were conducted in the years 1677-1696. After completion, the building comprised of elements of a nobility house, an Italian garden villa and a French palace in the style of Louis XIV. After the death of the King, the Palace became the property of his sons, and in 1720, a run down property was purchased by one of the wealthiest women in Poland of those days – Elizabeth Sieniawska. From 1730-33, the Palace, was owned by king August II the Strong, who made considerable changes in the residence, particularly as far as the internal décor was concerned.

In the middle of the 18th century, the Wilanów property was inherited by the daughter of Czartoryski, during whose reign, Wilanów started shining with its previous glory. Sixty nine years later, the Duchess gave Wilanów to her daughter and her husband, Stanislaw Kostka Potocki. Thanks to his efforts, one of the first museums in Poland was opened in the Wilanów Palace, in 1805.
Besides European and Oriental art, the central part of the palace displayed a commemoration of king John III Sobieski and the glorious national past. The palace was damaged by German forces in World War II,[7] but it was not demolished after the 1944 Warsaw Uprising. After the war, the palace was renovated, and most of the collection stolen by Germany was repatriated. In 1962 it was reopened to the public.

In 1946 the Palace was a private property, which was owned by a number of different polish aristocratic families.
In 1938 a famous actress was born in the palace, Beata Tyszkiewicz from a polish noble family.

▲ Top